Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Post treatment #1 - Blurry and sore

If this post is a bit unintelligible, sorry. I’m pretty foggy. Not sure if it’s the anesthetic of the treatment, but I think it’s the treatment I’m afraid if I don’t write now, many memories will be gone by morning.

Got to hospital at 1:15, early. Went back to prep about 1:30. My wife was asked to stay in the waiting room while I “got organized.” Procedure was to start at 3:30. About 2:15, everyone realized that I didn’t get a physical when I was admitted to the hospital last week. My EKG was “abnormal” according to the machine. There was a scurry and much stress (on my part). I had come this far, gotten up the nerve, and if I was denied or delayed again, I was done (probably literally)

Finally. They reached the doc that was supposed to do my physical in the psych ward. I was released so fast, he didn’t get to me. After some review, listening to my heart, etc, he cleared me to go forward.

I’m not sure I’ve ever been as scared in my life as when I was being rolled back to the OR, IV in my hand, and headed for the unknown. The OR, as they always are, was freezing. There were nurses everywhere. I was very scared. Not of dying, or of getting hurt, but of not knowing how I would awaken and this being my brain we were dealing with. My pulse ox was 98% to start. Three breathes after they put the O2 mask on me I was at 100%. The Doc assured me that everything was going to be fine. I’m sure she could read the worry on me. The anesthesiologist told me she was injecting the meds to make me sleep. Sleep didn’t come as fast as I had expected, but when it came, it came like a freight train. I remember this reverberation, and saying “bye bye”. I have this vague memory of sort of waking up being rolled down the hall and asking if something was wrong. The nurse said “Nope, you are all done buddy.” Back to sleep.

When I woke up in recovery, I had the sensation that my head hurt, and I told the nurse. But I’m not sure my head ever really hurt. I might have just expected it to. I dozed on and off for a while. I remember seeing the clock as they wheeled me out of prep. It was 2:51. I asked the nurse what time I got to recovery. 3:11. 20 minutes total. It took a while to get somewhat awake. I’m still not alert (its 5:48 now). At first, I tried lifting my hand. It weighed 1000 lbs. My head weighed more. Slowly, that went away. The only things that really were uncomfortable were my jaw and, much more, my calves. As I mentioned before, I have run marathons. 26.2 miles will do a number on your calves. The second day after a race, its very hard to walk, no matter what shape you are in. My calves are more sore already than had I run 3 marathons in a row. Given the jaw soreness and calves, I have to assume that they used too little paralytic. My calves, being farther form my heart that most other major muscles, must have seized HARD. I can’t wait to feel them tomorrow. I’m sure my jaw hurts from claming down on the bite block they use to protect your teeth. Again, need more paralytic.

I left recovery at 5:00. Almost 4 hours after I arrived. It seemed like a really fast 4 hours (I’m sure my wife would disagree.) I’m pretty blurry, and pretty slow. Those who have enjoyed major depression will understand when I say that your brain slows to one function, one thought at a time. I’m like that, several times over. My thoughts say “move your eyes”, and then they move sometime later.

Scheduled for 3:00 on the day after tomorrow. Next time I’ll 6x the stimulation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home