Monday, May 15, 2006

Obsessions? Me?

Obsessions? Interests? Mania? Hobbies? Call them what you like, they were coming at me way too quickly last week. It really seems that ECT had positive effect on both depression and mania, but much more effect on the depression. The OCD/mania still seems to come and go in minor, unthreatening waves.

Earlier last week, I got into darts. I played darts all the time in law school. It was what I did to take study breaks at night, throw a couple games of “cricket.” So, I dig around and found my three sets of darts not easy when some things are packed for a move), blew the dist off of and opened my dart board (hanging on the basement wall since we’ve been in this house, rarely used) for the first time in years, dug out my dart rule book to recall the distance from which I was to throw, put down a strip of tape to mark the throw line, and threw three times a day for about 4 days. Then, the interest was gone as quickly as it arrived. Today, its web design mania. I have thought, from time to time that I want to learn how to design a web page. I got a copy of Microsoft FrontPage 2003 from a friend and I want to design a web page for my journal from before ECT. I sort of tinkered with FrontPage, but I also ordered a book on how to use the software. I also plan to build a site to sell tie-dye on the internet (tie-dye is another “enthusiasm” from earlier this week which seems to pop-up from time to time, most often in the summer.) Now, also, laptops are heavy on my mind. I want one so I can write (another “enthusiasm”) while not at home (for example, when I’m forced out of my house so the house can be shown to prospective buyers.) I can’t afford a laptop, but I went today to Best Buy to find out what the cutting edge technology is so that when I can afford one I can figure out what to buy. My head seemed to be running a bit fast last week, as the list of interests above depicts. It seems to have slowed now and things are calmer. I’m just glad that the quickened pace from last week didn’t leave to a depression this week.

I’m reading “Electroboy” by Andy Berhman. Its not what I expected, and really not very good at all. Boring. The story line goes into WAY too much detail about his life before diagnosis and ECT. If it was painting a clear picture of who is was and how he got to the point of needing medical help, fine. But why would I care about most of the stuff that’s covered? I’m 175 pages in (of 272) and he just got his 1st prescription for depression.

Given my “enthusiasm” for tie-dye, I was giving some thought to new designs I would like to try. The idea came to mind to use bleach on color fabric instead of color on a white fabric. So, I bought a black t-shirt, tied it up for a spiral design, and used a strong bleach and water solution (Bleach is really already a water mixture, so I guess all I did was reduce the chemical parts per million -- chlorine is really a gas at room temperature. The gallon of bleach from the grocery store is really the chemical sodium hypochlorite mixed with water in a 5.25-percent solution.) I applied the bleach mix as if it was colored dye. The result was this really cool black shirt with this spiral pattern emanating from the center in varying shades of grey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home