Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Over-qualified and Unemployable

I found out today that I am a hardworking, honest lawyer with an additional graduate degree that doesn’t qualify for a job at REI. To say that I’m disappointed would be like calling lava “hot.” I know they get hundreds of applications every month in that store and I know that I’m overqualified. But I still fully expected a call welcoming me to the team and telling when I started my new job. I’m down. I feel like a loser and I can’t figure out what I’m going to do with my life when I can’t DO the job I AM qualified for, and I’m over-qualified for the grunt job I CAN do. I’m between the cracks, and it seems that I’m stuck. I wouldn’t say that I’m depressed, I’m just very sad. Sad that I can’t do more for my family. Sad that I can't be a role model father for my kids. Sad that Melissa has to carry as much weight as she carries. Sad because this thought keeps sneaking into my head that everyone would be better off without me around, although I know that that's not what anyone in my damily wants. Sad that I have lost that lofty spot I once occupied bringing home $10,000 a month. And sad at the idea that my mother-in-law is sending us money to help support my family. I completely expect that she is sending the money because she won’t let her daughter or grandchildren suffer, but that she doesn’t give a damn about me, the loser son-in-law, who is failing to pull his weight. I don’t know what to do from here, except ignore all of these things that make me sad and wait for the house to sell so we can move to a place where I know I can get a job doing something, even if I am over-qualified. Waiting has never been my strength.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. I know you are disappointed you didnt get the job. Keep trying.

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike - you're at a place I've been many times - I am only as good as my job...I'm only as important as what I do to make money...etc. Sure, we need to find ways to earn money for our material stuff, but the mistake I often make is that those jobs will somehow also provide my life with meaning.

I think that as a rule, vocations choose us, not the other way around. The trick is to choose what chooses us, and that comes at considerable personal cost if we choose wrong, believe me. If our work doesn't support our very soul, the soul will demand a price from us at some point, and I'll suggest that's some of what you are feeling these days.

REI gets hundreds of applications monthly and post for openings all the time so they can fish the applicant pool while not actually needing to fill any position. The "over-qualified" label is their way of letting applicants down gently instead of saying "we have plenty of people ahead of you that can also do these jobs - thanks for looking". Watered-down PC.

And they were probably suspicious of a shaved-headed lawyer that wanted to run their cash register...

Your friend Bill

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home