Friday, July 28, 2006

Down to the wire…

The move is looming ever-closer. Four days from now, strangers will have loaded my belongings onto a huge truck and left my house. The house will be empty, quiet, and in need of a good dust bunny extermination. We have movers coming Tuesday, cleaning people coming Wednesday, and carpet cleaners coming Thursday. We plan to leave Tuesday, after the movers are done. Two cars, two adults, two kids and three dogs will hit the road on a one way road trip of 880 miles. I can hardly wait (sarcasm).

Melissa has been gone (in Arkansas, starting her new job) now 12 days. Each day has gotten easier, it seems, playing “single parent.” Maggie takes care of herself. I’m amazed at how independent and responsible an 11 year old can be. Mic is gone to school every day (except weekends) from 6:45 to 3:30. All I have to do with Mic is get him up at 6:15 and out the door and when he gets home I just do something with him for a few minutes, feed him, get him his medications, and put him to bed. Melissa has missed much of the packing, but there will be plenty to do in the two days between when she gets home and when the movers arrive. All of us are anxious to see her.

Mic and I spent all day Thursday at Six Flags Elitch Gardens (the Six Flags owned amusement park in Denver. Its situated downtown, which adds a really cool twist to the Denver skyline. When we moved here, 17 years ago, Elitch’s was this little independent amusement park located in the outskirts of Denver proper. Its grown up significantly, since, into a really nice park with five roller coasters and a host of other great rides. One coaster, The Mind Eraser (how ironic is that name?), is one of the three best coasters I’ve ever ridden (The Rock’n Rollercoaster at MGM in Orlando still takes top honors.) We rode The Mind Eraser 3 times. I figured, even if its name held true, what was the risk?

Back to packing tape and boxes. Live the day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Defective said...

I remember when Elitch was just a dinky little place. My family & I had once planned to move to Colorado, back in the mid 90's. I had no idea it is now owned by Six Flags.

Good luck with your move. I know this is a chaotic time. A friend of mine in Nevada is also moving to Arkansas, small world.

Remember to take time out to relax while packing. It'll help lessen the stress.

Take care,
Sid

5:26 PM  
Blogger klbrowser said...

When I was a child, my father worked for IBM, and the company would actually rent out the entire Elitch's amusement park for a day for IBM employees and their families only. Yes, it was much smaller and the rides much less sophisticated in those days, but it was still way cool to not have to stand in line to ride Mister Twister.

I have family in Arkansas, and yes, it's quite a long trip. If you can handle the humidity, the state is refreshingly green compared to Colorado this time of year.

I hope to be moving soon too, to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. My husband took a job there two months ago, and I had to stay behind in Denver to try to sell the house. We just can't afford Denver anymore with me being on disability and my husband getting laid off from a high paying job.

Hope your move goes smoothly.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home