Thursday, August 17, 2006

One order of Normalcy, Coming right up!

OK, so, in the new house (notice I didn’t say “home”) with our stuff now or 10 days. Its coming together and it looks like a home now. Not crazy about the house, but it’ll work for now. Our house in Denver is still not sold. I keep thinking that, if we could just get that sold, then my mind would be at ease and my stress level would be diminished. I know, however, that once that stressor is gone, I’ll just find another to replace it.

My mood has been pretty stable. A little up some days, a little down others. No big swings. I’ve bordered on some mania or some manic-like things. I got really into online poker before we actually moved. Not playing for real money, but playing. I got and have read a book on strategy. I mostly just got VERY into the game itself and the nuances. Wines are the new thing. Nothin over-the-top. Not spending any ridiculous amounts of money on manic runs (not my usual, but it could happen.) All seems good. I’m a little bored during the day, but I start working days next week.

We had to find a new home for beau, one of our dogs. Beau is a Lab/Catahoula mix (a Lab what???) it’s a Louisiana hunting dog, very high strung and full of energy. He’s the dog I ran with in Denver. Great dog on a spiritual basis, but very destructive. Having no fence at this house, having a law against chaining your dog up in the yard, and a leash law left us no choice. I DID find Beau a new home (not an animal shelter. A couple my mother-in-law knows from work has three dogs and 13 acres in the country. Beau went to “the farm.” They let the dogs roam the land. PERFECT. He left Friday in a very emotional send-off.

The kids start school Monday. THANK THE GODS! Maggie is doing fine, but she's not out socializing any. The pool in the neighborhood (her one haven and social outlet that MIGHT have worked until school starts) is broken and the water is a nice deep shade of green. Its too hot to do anything else outside. She’s spending lots of time with my in-laws. Mic had a TOTAL F****NG MELTDOWN Monday night. He physically came after both Melissa and I. Tried to run over me in an effort to get to the door (or something), and then ran at me to try to knock me down. He would up on the short end of that endeavor. Banged his head against the wall and the floor, yelled and screamed about hating himself and that we hate him and that he hates us, took a swing at Melissa and pushed her a couple of times. When he ran into me, I flattened him (or he flattened himself.) Then he started yelling about child abuse. I went and got him the phone and told him to call and report me. This went on for about an hour. He was supposed to go to Vista Health for an assessment Monday night, which we had to reschedule. The assessment is where the health services provider evaluates the patient and tells you what they might be able and willing to offer. He went last night. After seeing his history and meeting him, they offered whatever we need, day treatment, residential, pdocs, therapists, etc. He's getting too physically big to act like a six year old in a tantrum.

Work at the liquor store is interesting. You should SEE some of the dregs that come in! The real gems, however, come to the drive through b/c they are too drunk or fat and lazy to get out and come inside. Its the princesses that are too busy on their cell phones to roll down the window and tell me what they want, and the ones that want me to go see what margarita mixes we have and let them choose that crack me up. If you know what you want, the drive through is great. If you need to shop, get in the store and shop. And if you need to hand me an empty fifth of vodka to make room in the car for another bottle, please be off the road by the time I drive home!

Some people come by so often and get the same thing that the young guys who have been there a while know what they want before they get to the drive-up window. The other day, this cute lady pulled up in her SUV. I was working the register in the drive-up window. She pulled up and her order was sitting on the counter waiting for her. I told her her total and she said "For what? What am I getting?" Very strange look on her face. No one had actually taken her order, they just went and got it. "A 1.5 liter Yellow Tail Merlot." She gave me this look and smiled and said "How did you know that?" “I’m psychic like that.” And I left it at that. I was thinking "Why don’t you just buy a case, make the trips to the store and get a discount??"

There was this cute young lady in the drive-up Saturday night. I carded her (I card everyone unless you look older than me.) She said "Thanks, make me feel even younger than I am!" I told her that when she got be my age, she'd appreciate people thinking she was younger. She said "You can't a day over 30." I told her I'd be 40 in October. She said "Well, you look great for 30, much less 39, and besides, I think bald guys are HOT anyway."

Another lady cam up going on and on about her husmand putting pictures on the internet of him and his 20 year old girlfriend. She bought a fifth of vodka, a liter of tonic and got some cups and ice. Her comment: "F**k him, I'm going to have a little photo session of my own.

Its a fun job. People are fun to observe. And its a great workout, mentally and physically. Remembering what a car in the drive-up wants long enough to run back to the cooler and get it is good for my brain and my body. I actually got 2 CARS at the same time Tuesday night!! They were easy ones (“a case of Busch” and “a case of Bud Light Bottles”), though. Damn, we sell a LOT of booze out of that place.

Live it like you mean it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home