Saturday, May 20, 2006

Boing

Today, I woke up feeling fine, called and signed up to play racquetball in the Saturday morning “shuttle”. Competition on Saturday mornings is at its best. Not long after I got out of bed and got dressed, Melissa and I had a major fight over money (which turned out to be about nothing like what I thought we were fighting about…Mars versus Venus). I was in a horrible mood and wanted to punch a hole in a wall and was convinced that my day was ruined. I’ve had this “crick” in my neck for 2 days and I was pissed off and I knew that my racquetball game would be lame given those two factors, so I just skipped it. Its 3 hours later as I write this, the fight is over and my mood is great again. Before ECT, my whole day would have been ruined and the fight would have raged all day and maybe into tomorrow (in my head, anyway.) THAT is a benefit of ECT: The ability to rebound and recover from emotional trauma or upset. It just didn’t happen before.

Mic, my mentally ill son, has been deteriorating quickly since we decided upon this move to NW Arkansas. The stress from not knowing where we will be in a couple of months, when the move will take place, when our home will sell, etc is tough on everyone, but particularly difficult for Mic to deal with. He was relatively stable (albeit hard to deal with) prior to learning of the move, but slowly regressing emotionally and mentally. He really behaves, and must be handled, like a six year old (he’s 13). We are now down to daily outbursts. As I have mentioned previously, Mic is one of the two triggers I have identified which have serious effect on my mood. He is extremely lucky to have Melissa, who continues to handle most of his problems so as to shield me from him. Mic is generally non-violent to other people. He destroys things (usually his own things), but has never before put his hands on another person during one of his emotional outbursts. Today, (by Maggie’s account, and I have no reason to disbelieve her) he pinned Maggie against the wall by her shirt in an effort to intimidate her into doing what he wanted. I worry about his steady and now quickened regression, and what the future holds for him if this move can’t be completed sooner rather than later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home