Friday, June 16, 2006

SSDI and Long Term Disability Insurance

Thursday, June 15: Met with SSDI psychiatrist today for official evaluation. I think it went well. He told me he wouldn’t disagree with any of my doctors’ diagnoses or recommendations, and that he was writing the report to support my claim for disability. We shall see. I have an appointment to meet with a long-term disability attorney next week about going after The Hartford. They denied my LTD claim on appeal, relying on a “pre-existing condition” clause, claiming that my depression pre-dated the policy and that my disability is caused by that depression. My argument will be that the disability isn’t caused by depression, but by the treatment FOR depression. Not the same thing.

Mood has been pretty stable, with minor ups and downs (I think everyone has those, right?) The house sale is still progressing, but slowly. No offers yet, but much more activity since dropping the price and changing realtors. The job horizon for Melissa (in Arkansas) is looking up. She has applied for (and is quite qualified for) several jobs that she is excited about. Life goes on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grandma said...

Have you been able to find a psychiatrist who will say you are disabled by ECT? Especially since you are well past the six week recovery period the shrinks admit to?

I have never heard of such a thing. If you find a psychiatrist to say this, tell him he can do a booming business being the only shrink willing to say ECT causes long term disability. I mean this very sincerely.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that you arguing that you have been left disabled by ECT, do you feel a little more sympathy for the jury in the Peggy Salter case?

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home