Saturday, February 04, 2006

My Dream Thursday Night

Early Friday morning: I don’t remember many of my dreams. Most of them, I don’t even remember having, although I know I dream, everyone does. I just have no recollection of mine at all, and the parts I do remember are never cohesive or make any sense. This one doesn’t make sense, but its cohesive, and its far-out and I had to write about it. Its 7:00 Friday morning, I have no reason to be up this early, other than I didn’t want to forget this dream before I got it down on paper. After telling Melissa the part she had time to listen to (which I had to short-cut because she was pressed for time), I was too awake to go back to sleep, so I decided to write. Here we go..

I was having this series of appointments to which I had to go. I wasn’t allowed to drive, and I was going to these appointments with Mic and Maggie, my kids who aren’t old enough to drive. Further, Mic is mentally ill and just recently moved back home from a residential treatment center. He is prone to these extreme fits of rage and lack of control when things don’t go his way.

I was going to these appointments with Mic and Maggie, and we were getting there by way of this “V” shaped table, at which all three of us would sit. The table’s sides, the two sides of the “V”, were each about 4 feet long, and the table was made of this heavy metal welded frame, like a school lunch table, supporting this rustic oak top that was about two inches thick. The top was very oddly cut such that the sides of the “V” were cut very crookedly (I’m not sure all of this table detail matters, but it adds to the weird factor.)

We would sit at this table, and we would get to the appointment. I’m not sure how, but somehow Mic thought he could “drive” this table, and so it would work. These appointments were at my former office. That office is, in real life, situated along side of a very busy, very straight wide long road way out on the east side of town. Most of the actual drive there is on this long straight road. Only the first very little bit is meandering to get to this long straight road before the long straight shot to the office (again, a lot of detail for a relatively minor aspect of the dream.)

At times I didn’t have an appointment, I would go to another place, like a job. I don’t know how I got to this place (I couldn’t drive), but when I got there, I would be with my father, and we would be underwater on a very dark place. We were wearing scuba gear, but very limited gear. I had an air hose, not as elaborate as a regulator, and a light also on a hose like attachment, both attached to this vest thing I had on. We would dive to this building which was like a huge unfinished house. It had drywall, all of which was unfinished, and tables covered with scraps of building materials. On the drywall walls, in many places, the workers had drawn dart boards, and frequently played darts. It didn’t matter that the walls got full of holes because they were covered before the place was finished. I’m not sure what my job was or why I was there, but somehow I lost track of time or got side-tracked or fell asleep and, when I realized what had happened, I realized I was going to be late to my LAST appointment. (Today is my last ECT treatment in the real world.) I was a bit frantic, and I hustled around and got finished (with whatever it was I was doing) and got back to my vest and air and light hose, and then I found my father so we could dive back to where we started. I realized that I had left my light on the whole time and, just as we got in the water, my battery died! My father’s battery was dead too. It was very dark, and we kept getting lost on the swim back, and it took us much longer than it would otherwise have taken. We finally got there.

When we got there, my kids were waiting on me for the drive to the appointment (in the table.) it occurred to me that you can’t drive a table, and that up until this point, I had just taken the rides in the table without questioning how they worked. Looking around outside, near where the table was, I realized that it looked a lot like the outside of the dorm at my college, and there was this line of young ladies dressed in black and white Quaker/Pilgrim dresses counting pieces of candy from these huge cloth bags into plastic pumpkin tubs (this has nothing to do with the dream, but again, weird factor.) I asked Maggie about the “driving” the table thing. Her response was “Shhh. If Mic knows he can’t drive a table, then he won’t be able to. Right now, he just thinks he can drive the table, so we go along with it and it works. I agreed, and we went to the table. It turns out that Mic and Maggie had been using this man’s table. The man had known they had been borrowing his table outside, but of course, he had no idea that the table had been leaving the premises…tables can’t be driven!

The man who owned the table, and all of the other people in the area were strangely dressed. They were all dressed in garb of the Renaissance period (picture Robin Hood and Maid Mariann.) The man had one very bushy, unruly eyebrow. The other eyebrow was missing completely. When the man realized that the table actually had to leave the premises for the use we were making of it, he was not happy. Suddenly he realized that he should be being compensated for use of his table. We had no money with us, but I promised to bring him a gift certificate from someplace as compensation. He wasn’t thrilled, but he accepted.

We began our “drive” in the table, which to me seemed like we were carrying the table and walking. It was a very heavy table. Along the way, after we were on the long straight road to the appointment, we passed someone I knew. He asked why we were carrying a table and walking instead of driving. Oh No! This blew the cover on the driving thing. Now Mic realized that he couldn’t “drive” a table. Those who know Mic will understand when I say he “did a Mic thing” He lost his temper and flew into a rage, banging his head on the table and crying uncontrollably and screaming about “now I can’t drive the table anymore and that no body cared about him and that he was just going to go live someplace else…blah blah blah.” Not I had a dilemma: I was already late for my appointment, I wasn’t allowed to drive, now Mic couldn’t drive, and we weren’t there yet. I told Mic that I was going to drive, despite my restriction, because I was able to drive straight down the road to the appointment. Mic, having trouble generally in situations like this and being able to ask himself “Is it better to break the letter of the law in this case where no damage will come from it, or not make it to the appointment at all, wouldn’t let me drive. I was extremely frustrated. I either had to convince Mic to pull over and let me drive the table that he now realized that he couldn’t “drive”, or I had to get him to pull over so I could just pick the table up and carry the damned thing to the appointment.

Suddenly, I realized: I was just trying to go back to sleep a little while ago. I had awoken too early and was having trouble going back to sleep. In my dream, I, at that point, became pretty sure that I was, in fact, asleep. Therefore, if I could just wake up, this dilemma would resolve itself. Despite my effort, I couldn’t force myself awake, nor could I completely convince myself, until I was awake, that I actually WAS asleep. Slowly…I woke up. Once awake, I had a really good laugh at the absurdity of performance my brain had just put on. Because I never remember my dreams, and this being such a fun one, I had to get up and get it on paper so I can now, as Maggie put it, “Never, ever, ever forget it as long as I live, even if I really want to.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home