Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Sorry so slow....

Ok, so I've gotten, now, 3 e-mails from people I don't know, but who have been reading my blog, and who are less than happy that I have "just quit writing" now that treatments are done. My apologies...I really didn't know anyone, other than a select few, was reading. I'll try to do better in keeping you posted on my "recovery" as things progress.

I am, at present, trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. As many of you may, or may not, know, I am a lawyer by training and experience. Five years ago, the public company for whom I served as Assistant General Counsel folded. Just prior to that bankruptcy, I decided, somewhat on a whim, that I wanted to open an Internet Coffee House. And, thus, the folly began...

I planned, designed, had built, opened, and managed the coffee shop for 2 years, during which I also practiced law sort of part time with my former General Counsel. It was during the decompression (from practicing law to running a coffee shop...big change) that depression first became part of my life. I suspect, however, that I had been dealing with mania for quite some time. 2 years after the coffee shop opened, due to location, "9/11", location, and who knows what else, it had drained me of every cent I had, and I was forced to close. Some very ugly financial times were to follow.

During these ugly times, just before the business failed, I literally fell into the mortgage business with a retail mortgage group across the street from my shop. After the business closed and while I was battling with my creditors, this was my sole source of income for my family. As things progressed and my creditor troubles continued and the stress mounted, etc, my bi-polar problems (primarily depression) magnified.

For the 3 years that followed, on an increasing basis, I dealt with depression. Returning to the practice of law just didn't seem possible. As the refinance market started to slow, and my income began to fluctuate, I was forced to look for more stable mortgage income. Working for a home builder was the answer I found. During the first year of that period, even while my depression worsened, I made more money than I ever had in my career. About 18 months into that employment, however, the stress, driving the depression, forced me to seek less demanding work. I worked with two other builders in the 12 months that followed, but my mental health continued to worsen. I was, eventually, extremely suicidal and just plain unable to function. My last mortgage position would, at one point in my career, been a total piece of cake. It paid about a third of the compensation from my highest paying position (about half of my last lawyer job). And it was just, at that point, still too much for me. I was running out of places to go to earn enough money to support my family, despite my Bachelors degree, a Law degree and an additional graduate degree.

Now that I am post-ECT, and still technically on "disability" from my current builder mortgage job, I am, again, faced with choosing a career direction. Only this time, the pendulum is swinging the other direction. I'm done with mortgage, I think. I'm not "sure" what I want to do, but today I am having lunch with my former General Counsel and his law partner to talk about joining their law practice. I'm not sure they want me, and I'm not sure that's what I want, but its a start! A start I would never have gotten if not for ECT. Of that I am certain.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell the people to quit lurking and leave comments, then you will know they are reading your blog. It is so good to "see" that sparkle in your eyes again, that's the Mike I know, knew and loved.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home